23 Mar Why We Need More Women in Creative Industries
The creative sector is one that encompasses a wide variety of industries underneath a wide umbrella to create the creative industry as a whole. For the most part, creative industries are male dominated with very little gender diversity. In fact, in 2008 female creative directors represented only 3% of creative roles. That gender gap has closed significantly since then with women representing 29% of those roles now – nowhere near equal or equitable. Currently, 42% of the workforce in the creative industry identify as female. Studies have found that women and men both struggle at the same rate when trying to break into the creative sector, especially in tech occupations. How can we encourage women to continue to break into creative careers when the industries are so heavily competitive and dominated by one gender? In this article, we’ll discuss the barriers that women face when trying to get a creative occupation and the benefits of hiring more women in creative industries.
Creative Industries Explained
What are all the industries that are considered to be a part of the creative and cultural industries? There are a number of industries that require creative insight. Some of the industries include:
- Television, animation, photography, radio, and film industry
- Corporate Production
- Interactive Content Design
- Advertising & Marketing
- Design Industry
- Music & Performing Arts
- Hand Crafts
As you can see, there are a wide range of industries that fall under the creative umbrella and as a result, there are a number of creative roles that can have a direct effect on our everyday culture. While there is a need for creative workers in these roles, many creative women struggle to land with the role they aspire for. How can we continue to keep inspiring women to pursue these creative careers?
Ways to Inspire Women to Pursue Creative Occupations
One of the best ways to get more women interested in pursuing creative roles and creative leadership opportunities is by sparking inspiration and interest in the wide variety of careers that exist under the creative industries umbrella. Creative areas like graphic design, web development, programming, and video production allow for more creativity and are occupations that can be exceptionally innovative with the right individual. More access to higher quality education and opportunities in these areas can help women explore their own individual talents and skills in any creative field. For women that are currently in creative roles, access to more continued education can help be a driving force for innovation in the industry.
Additionally, there needs to be more available opportunities for females to enter the creative industry. More internships and apprenticeships that are centered around women interested in creative careers could help end gender stereotypes in the industry by offering more pathways. Through this initiative, women who are pursuing creative jobs can have more access to mentors or female role models. A study conducted in 2017 found that only 54% of women have access to mentors in their careers. By creating more internship opportunities for women to break into the field and supporting the women who are in the industry, there are more chances for women to find inspiration from the women who have already found success within their creative role.
Benefits of More Women Working in Creative Industries
There are a number of benefits that can come from more women working in creative industries:
- Diverse Perspectives: Women bring a unique perspective to the creative process, and having more female representation in creative industries can lead to more diverse and inclusive content that reflects a wider range of experiences and perspectives.
- Economic Empowerment: By working in creative industries, women have the opportunity to earn a better living wage compared to other industries. This can help to close the gender pay gap and improve economic equality.
- Female Role Models: When young women and female graduates see successful women working in creative industries, it can inspire them to pursue their own creative passions and careers. This can help to break down gender stereotypes and encourage more women to enter creative fields.
- Social Impact: Creative industries have the power to influence and shape culture, and having more women involved in these industries can help to create a more equitable and just society by challenging stereotypes and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Having more women in creative industries can lead to a more diverse, inclusive, and dynamic creative landscape, and can have a positive impact on society as a whole.
Find Qualified Creative Candidates through Scion Creative!
If you are looking for qualified and experienced creatives to fill your open roles, Scion Creative can offer a national pool of talented and qualified creative candidates. Through our award-winning recruiting and staffing services, Scion Creative offers organizations the opportunity to find their next creative team member. For more information about the services that Scion Creative offers, please visit our website or contact one of our creative recruiting and staffing specialists today!